Nesting

Nesting.

Simplification is not about having a sterile, non-personal environment to live in.  It is about surrounding yourself with what really matters to you.  It is not about having an abstract centerpiece that no one else has; rather, it is about your belongings telling your story.   No one else's things can do that.

So, when you decorate, choose to keep what is useful and/or beautiful to you.  Surround yourself with  tools and decor that compliment YOUR tastes, and tell YOUR story.

It is the difference between telling your houseguest that your teapot reminds you of your mother's journeys into China, or having a teapot on display that the best thing you can say about it was that you got it on sale for 30% off at TJ Maxx.

Simplifying is not the eradication of personality.  Instead, it is embracing the things which are truly, deeply important to you, and giving them space in your home.

Even the simple nest.

Comments

  1. I whole heartedly agree with that. I like to keep that in mind while traveling, picking up unique decor and art I find while on vacation. Something my grandmother liked to do also. Even though my house seems empty right now someday it will be filled with memories and adventures brought home. ~Elena A

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I have people over, they get the tour of the Castle :). So many things I own have a story behind them. As I tell about what is on display (art, artifacts, etc) my guests learn a lot about what matters to me! My bet is your house is going to be filled with wonderful stories and expressions of you, too, Elena!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts