The Promise


Simplification is big on promises.

If you stop shopping, you will have more time and money to devote to other things.  If you declutter and quit procrastinating, you will have less stress.

This is exactly what has happened to me when I took up simplifying eight years ago.  Within three years of adopting minimalism, I was feeling the supreme benefits.  I was able to work part-time hours at my job.  I could explore my creativity.  I was on my way to being completely out of debt.

Because I wasn't buying stuff.

We work long hours and feel entitled to treats and excursions to offset the time we lose on jobs we do not care for and that do not nurture us as persons.  These little and large gifts to ourselves do not alleviate the pain, but they do serve to further chain us to our circumstances and leave us with no option except to be enslaved to debt.

Ditch the treats.  Deal with the clutter.

Start with one drawer or shelf today.  Go ahead and clean it off; clean it out; and clean it up.  Do that dreaded chore and be done with it.  It won't be haunting you then as you try to relax on your couch.

Find cheap alternatives to reward yourself.  Go for a long walk or bike ride.  Paint your own nails.  Get a massage at a school for that sort of thing - you won't likely pay 60 dollars/hour.  Have a picnic or potluck.

Leave the restaurants and spa days behind.  Watch movies at home.  Pack your lunch.  Skip take-out.  In a short period of time of doing these things and more frugal tactics, you will see your ship of finances start to change course.  For the better.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts