Life Direction


You are either moving up, or down.

In life, we all want our circumstances to be better and better.  We want to succeed, have meaning and purpose in our days, and win at the game of life.

In this culture, we are taught that we buy our way to winning.  We have to have all the right toys for a satisfying life.  Our gadgets are supposed to make life easy.  Our clothes, car, and handbag are to communicate where we are along the journey to the top.

Right?

You don't have to buy into that lie.  You can live differently, way differently.

My clothes come from thrift stores.  One of our cars is celebrating its 18th birthday in 2019.  Our home is the first home we ever bought together.  We have minimal gadgets.  Our phones are over two years old.  Are we winning?

Yes!  We both can work part-time and stay in the black financially.  My husband has four days off during the week typically, and I have between four and five days off on average.  We have batting practice at the ballpark while everyone else is having to work.  We have slow mornings where we sip coffee and then go to the gym to work out until our hearts are content.  We live without being ruled by a boss or a manager for the majority of the week, every week.

Would I rather have freedom or a nice TV, handbag, and other stuff that would serve to chain me to a job to pay for what I bought?  I know my answer.

Sometimes, what looks like the bottom is the top, and what looks like the top is at the bottom.

Move to the top.

Comments

Popular Posts