Freeing the Freedom Fighter

In 2015, I knew I had a problem.

I was a shop-a-holic.  Retail Therapy was my medicine.  I felt a gnawing inside.  I had been aware for years that I had an issue, but couldn't quite ever stop.  I tried different outward controls with limited success.  And, then, I began to pray.

I prayed that God would conquer the consumerism in my heart.  I prayed repeatedly.  I begged.  I pleaded.  And, God answered.

I would not say today that I am completely freed, and silly purchases are completely in the past.  However, I see great gains from where I started from and where I am today.

These days, I am wasting less money on things I don't need.  And, I am wasting less items because I have what I need and what I want, and less goes to the charity donation or landfill.  I think carefully before bringing things into my home.  I even question if I need a second or third tube of toothpaste, even if I hit a good sale.

I am content with what I have the vast majority of the time.  The gnawing is less frequent, less intense, less pervasive.  God has performed a miracle in my heart, and continues in freeing me from the snare of materialism.

I would not want to go back to conspicuous consumption.  That lifestyle holds no beauty for me.  I am so happy to be more content, more satisfied, more at peace with less.  It's a beautiful life with little.


Comments

Popular Posts