Patterns

Patterns shape everything.

Consistency is key in many things, especially personal habits.  Goals show you where you want to be in the end, but the habits you have are the processes that will determine your successes or failures.

Sometime in the last year, I read a book called Atomic Habits by James Clear.  It was a great read and had lots of fantastic takeaways.  His theory was that big changes and transformations actually happen in daily habits or patterns.  The 1% changes we make daily, over time adds up to get the 100% change that we want and hope for in our lives.

The game of personal growth is won in the practice of small decisions.  In baseball, it isn't the home runs that win the game.  The coaches guide their team in small decisions that shape the game inning by inning and bring victory (or defeat) in the end.  When dreaming big, act small.

I believe that to change major habits I need to change minor ones.  A current example of this is my wish to be a diligent human being.  I noticed I was not practicing diligence in major areas of my life.  When I reflected even more, I realized that diligence was not present in minor areas either.

I have begun to change the minor, daily areas where I can show diligence and play small ball.  For example, I used to quit running across city streets about 4 feet before I reached the other side of the sidewalk.  To foster diligence in my life, I am now running the entire way across and do not slow down until my feet are on the concrete of the opposing side of the crosswalk.

And, if you are wondering, the bigger picture for me is starting to shift.  After restructuring my daily task sheets to reflect working on multiple projects one task at a time, I am completing my entire list with more regularity. I am making strides toward accomplishing several goals in the second quarter of 2020.  Seeing diligence blossom brings me more satisfaction, and I am encouraged to keep going.

So, when you see the mountain you need to climb, start with one step, then another, and then another.  Little changes add up to big changes.  Small steps can add up to long and difficult journeys being completed.

If you want to change, watch your patterns.

Comments

Popular Posts