Staying Home


If nailing your sneakers to the floor is the only way you can get yourself to stay home, may I ask why?  Is your home less than a sanctuary?  Do you find yourself stressed when you reach your doorstep?

Once upon a time, my home was very stressful to me.  The clutter was overwhelming visually.  There were piles everywhere of things needing attention.  I left home often to go shopping - a form of medicating - but, what I was doing was exacerbating my own problem as I brought more and more into my abode.

When I got launched into minimalism, my home didn't become perfect overnight.  It took time, and a lot of effort to deal with the clutter and set up systems for dealing with incoming and outgoing things.  It was so worth it though.

After five years of simplifying, I reached The Essential.  This was the perfect level of stuff for me and my family.  It has been a snap to maintain since, and I struggle to get a load out of my house when I purge, because what I bring in is needed, and we waste less.

My home is my sanctuary now.  I enjoy many nights at home.  I have a lot of free time in the evenings, because everything has been dealt with from my past efforts.  I may do a load of laundry, and clean the kitchen, but there are several minutes to a few hours where I loaf and take it easy.

Also, I like to vacation at home.  Staycations are a staple in my family, and we enjoy the down time away from work to reconnect with friends, get appointments done, or just enjoy a different pace.  My home is a haven, an oasis, away from the stress in my life.

My wonderful husband was not enamored with our home at first.  He endured living here though.  When we paid it off, and got it decluttered, he changed his opinion.  Now,  he states he likes our home and finds it cozy.  My friends compliment me on how serene and peaceful my home is to them.  It is quiet, and contained.

Reach for your own Essential.  Take the time and effort to deal with the chaos.  You, too, may find that your home is a sanctuary and pleasant to be in at night or during a vacation.

Simplify.


Comments

Popular Posts